This week, Facebook turned 11 years old! When the social network was just starting, it was exclusive to Harvard students. There weren’t nearly as many users as there are today, and there was no such thing as “Trending Topics.” We have a strong feeling that these 11 topics would have been trending on Facebook in 2004!
- Bennifer (Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez) and Brennifer (Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston) both split, ending the constant confusion.
- Yahoo! split from Google, starting its own search engine.
- 52 million viewers tuned in for one last cup of coffee at Central Perk as FRIENDS aired it’s series finale.
- The Razr cell phone was king. You couldn’t crush candy on it, and it was a flip casino pa natet phone. We’ve come a long way!
- The first same sex marriage was performed in Massachusetts.
- William Hung became one of the most popular failed American Idol auditions with his rendition of Ricky Martin’s “She Bangs,” and Jennifer Hudson came in 7th place in the competition.
- Ken Jennings won 74 games in a row and $2.5 million dollars on Jeopardy!
- Mean Girls tried to make fetch happen.
- North Korean ruler Kim Jong-Il was on the big screen as a puppet in Team America: World Police.
- Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake released Nipple Gate! This year, Missy Elliot made her comeback at the Half Time show without one wardrobe malfunction.
- New England Patriots won the Super Bowl, and they didn’t even have to cheat… that we know of!
What topics come to mind when you think of 2004?